Monday, February 23, 2009

The Genes

Thinking about the origins of homosexuality, it is clear that is comes, at least partially, from one’s genetic make-up. Many studies have been done that show a higher instance of shared homosexuality between monozygotic twin males than in fraternal twins, and even more so than in non-twin brothers, suggesting a coloration between shared genetic make-up and shared homosexuality. Also, studies have shown that there are certain parts of a gay male’s brain that are different sizes from their straight male counterparts, often closely mimicking the size of straight females. These studies suggest that some sort of fundamental prenatal developmental difference exists between homosexuals and heterosexuals that causes their brains to develop differently, and therefore have different predispositions with regard to sexuality. Further strengthening this genetic, or 'nature' argument are the gathered statistics that show gay men are more likely to be left-handed, or exhibit other shared qualities. Another study, though never recreated, offered a proposed X-Chromosome correlation that was shared by an inordinately large percentage of gay brothers. All of these studies and statistics, then, point to the genetic predisposition for homosexuality.

2 comments:

  1. If this were my research topic I think I would take the exact same side as you. Even though I've done no research on the issue, I agree that genetics and other factors play a role in homosexuality. Your first subtopic about the genes is really interesting and I'd like to learn more about the genetic connection to a "gay" gene. Did you find if it's common in familitles aside from twins? My mom's cousin is gay and my cousin (on my mom's side) is also gay. Did your research show that there are multiple instances of sexuality throughout families? The size of the brain research that you mentioned is really interesting also. It really seems like you have a lot of good information to support the genetic argument so I'm interested to see how you can connect this to the nurture argument.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your argument is very strong, and I would also agree that genes play a role in people's sexuality. I'm curious though, when you are referring to homosexuality, are you only focusing on gay males or are you taking lesbians into account too? I wonder if there is similar proof of genetic differences between lesbians and straight women-like the brain sizes of gay men vs. brain sizes of straight women you mentioned.

    ReplyDelete