Saturday, February 14, 2009

The Issue

In today's society, there has been a great debate over homosexuals' rights and their place in the world. Many regard homosexuality as a grave sin, brought on by a personal choice of lifestyle, and simply refuse to investigate the matter further. Those who are more accepting, as well as many homosexuals themselves, are often interested in the true nature of the matter, looking for a deeper explanation. Aside from the idea of personal choice, two main camps have formed around this issue. Those who subscribe to the 'nature theory' believe that homosexuality is something one is born with, is written in one's genetic code, and nothing that one encounters or does can change this orientation. Those who are proponents of the 'nurture theory' make the argument that, while one is not born homosexual, there are certain life experiences and familial situations which may cause this sexual preference to arise. I myself have always been intrigued by this deviation from 'the norm' in sexuality, and would like to be able to form a personal opinion on the matter, free of external bias. What I am hoping to find, then, is an explanation of the origin of homosexuality, and whether it can be attributed to genes, surroundings, or perhaps a combination of both.

3 comments:

  1. I really like your topic, it seems like both sides have a lot of support and will be interesting to research. Both positions seem very valid, and I'm honestly really intersted in seeing which side you take (even though I think I may have figured that out already) and how you will support it. As a research paper topic, I think yours is very original and will make for a great paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting topic. Since it's about an issue that is so hard to nail down, I'm excited to see what research you come up with. This has been a controversial debate for a really long time and it seems like you have a good research question that will address all the issues involved. I'm definitely intrigued so far and I'm sure I will get even more interested as you begin to research.

    ReplyDelete